Account-Based Marketing (ABM) identifies the insights, integrated marketing initiatives and sales alignment requirements to deliver and measure impact with target groups of customers and prospects. Beyond demand creation, ABM looks at the role of marketing throughout the customer lifecycle including the development of insights and advocacy to support better execution and revenue outcomes.
Senior marketing management from Fortune 500 companies and small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) use ABM to define the best strategies to win, develop and retain business with a specific set of accounts. ABM combines best practices, innovative models, thought leadership and benchmark data to help companies make better decisions faster about account-based investment.
Through continuous research and deliverables that allow easy access to operational intelligence, ABM stimulates ideas, provides a platform for discussion within your organization, allows you to network with peers at SiriusDecisions events, and gives you on-demand intelligence for effective decisionmaking.
- Compare strategies and tactics used to create demand and drive retention and advocacy
- Analyze your account-based marketing investment against your peers
- Learn how best-practice organizations are approaching account-based marketing
- Use proven models and frameworks to avoid reactive, hard-to-scale execution in ABM efforts
- Gain insight on how to build a customer focus that takes advantage of marketing’s strengths
REPRESENTATIVE COVERAGE AREAS
- ABM Strategy – Understand the different options for ABM efforts and when to apply them
- ABM Analytics – Learn what historical and predictive data is needed to understand available opportunity and the likelihood and timeframes for winning it, as well as potential retention challenges
- Organizational Structure – Understand the roles and responsibilities needed to support account-based execution
- Customer Experience – Understand the roles and responsibilities needed to support customer experience from a marketing and sales perspective
- Vendor Analysis – Learn the strengths and weaknesses of emerging suppliers in order to narrow your choices during the vendor selection process
- Measurement – Understand best practice key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics to gauge the effectiveness of your ABM efforts
- Planning Model – Understand the logical model for balancing investment in programs and tactics against market themes and business objectives
- ABM Strategy Model – Representation of account-based models and the best context in which to use them to help companies identify their options
- Account-Based Scoring Model – Tool that defines the dimensions of account and buying-center knowledge required to accurately estimate opportunity and the likelihood of realizing it within a target group of accounts
- Campaign Framework – Best-in-class framework for marketing to link strategy to quantitative goals and program and tactic execution that can be used to support budgeting and return-on-investment
- Deployment Options Framework – Model that identifies the four modes of delivery for account-based marketing tactics to help marketing and sales align around how to bring tactics to prospects and customers
- Customer Marketing Function Framework – Description of the optimized customer marketing function to define the evolution and staffing of these capabilities based on goals
- Sirius Analytics Overview – Tool that helps you define the analysis options appropriate to various reporting and insights objectives, and the technology and data requirements that go with them
- Account-Based Marketing Measurement Model – Tool that helps you better define your target market based on four specific variables (market segmentation, market requirements, business function analysis, and buyer/user dynamics), plus the ability of your organization to turn these variables into action
SiriusDecisions offers research in a variety of formats to deliver a comprehensive view of today’s most pressing sales and marketing issues, available for search and download on our research portal.
- Research Briefs: Monthly research notes that frame executive-level sales and marketing issues. Three to four briefs are delivered to you each month, and are archived on the research portal.
- SiriusPerspectives: A monthly newsletter that provides a high-level overview of a sales and marketing topic dealing with demand creation, sales optimization or reputation development.
- Vendor Profiles: Reviews of emerging suppliers who may be beneficial to your account-based marketing efforts. SiriusDecisions also plots suppliers on our vendor matrices, allowing you to analyze and narrow your choices.
- Core Strategy Reports: Provides key observations and commentary on SiriusDecisions presentations introducing critical models, frameworks and strategies. Tackles more complex sales and marketing issues, and introduces new areas of research in a white paper format.
- SiriusTools: Frameworks, models and issues spectrums that allow you to more easily visualize and communicate your challenges, and to determine the most appropriate courses of action.
- Rich Media: Webcast archives in rich media format that can be replayed at your convenience, shared with team members or used for training purposes.
Analyst Inquiry: Unlimited analyst inquiry privileges are offered as part of ABM membership; you can schedule analyst time via phone or email. Discussions often focus on best practices, data, analytic tools or vendor reviews.
Account-Based Marketing Benchmark: Each year, SiriusDecisions analysts will benchmark your account-based marketing strategy, resources and performance against our SiriusIndex™ of business-to-business companies, and provide an independent perspective of your development and performance compared with similar companies.
Events: Peer interaction is a valuable way to understand how others are solving similar issues and to build your network. ABM membership includes monthly Webcasts, quarterly half-day research forums, as well as discounted pricing on all SiriusDecisions conferences.
Below, please find a partial list of recently published ABM research.
Measuring the Impact of Account-Based Marketing
In this brief, we describe a layered approach to measuring account-based marketing (ABM) that provides insight and proof of contribution to the business.
Taking Stock of a Customer Advocacy Program
In this brief, we provide a checklist for evaluating four essential pillars of a b-to-b customer advocacy program.
The B-to-B Leader's Role in Supporting Customer Orientation
In this brief, we outline four types of support that leaders should provide to ensure that their staff members consistently engage in customer insight activities.
This SiriusDecisions vendor profile focuses on BAO, a teleservices provider whose services include market intelligence, account intelligence, contact discovery, appointment setting, telemarketing and sales support.
Mapping the Customer Lifecycle: Preparation and Participants
In this brief, the first in a series, we describe how to prepare for building a customer lifecycle map and who needs to be involved in the process.
First 90 Days: Customer Marketing Leader
In this brief, we outline a customer marketing leader’s key activities for the first 90 days in the role and reference relevant SiriusDecisions research to ease the transition.
The Sirius Indicator: Event Management Software Providers
In this brief, using the six dimensions of the Sirius Indicator, we discuss the major categories to consider when evaluating and scoring event management software.
First 90 Days: Large Account Marketing Leader
In this brief, we outline a large account marketing leader’s key activities for the first 90 days in the role, and reference relevant SiriusDecisions research to ease the transition.
Identifying Customer Advocates
In this brief, we outline a best practice approach to identifying customer advocates.
Helping Sales Source Demand: The ICE Framework
In this brief, we introduce the SiriusDecisions ICE Framework, which illuminates how marketers can provide information, content and execution resources to helps sales source its own demand.
Customer Advocacy: Organization and Staffing
In this brief, we outline a best practice approach to defining and staffing a customer advocacy function.
Customer Relationship Nurture: Building an Execution Framework
Many marketing organizations fail to sustain their relationship nurturing efforts after a lead is qualified or a deal is closed. In this brief, we outline a structure for applying a nurture framework to customer relationships.
Account-Based Marketing: Planning Assumptions 2014
In this brief, we share five key trends that will impact account-based marketing in 2014.
Structuring a Named-Account Marketing Plan
In this brief, we describe a structure and process for applying a consistent process to create one-to-few or one-to-many marketing plans for named-account models.
The SiriusDecisions Executive-Level Event Framework
In this brief, we present a four-part framework for building executive-level events.
|Core Strategy Report|
Email Touch Governance
In this SiriusDecisions Core Strategy Report, we describe the steps necessary to effectively manage the cadence of email communications to contacts in order to improve email performance rates and, ultimately, increase revenue.
Customer Relationship Nurture: Segmentation and Data
In this brief, we outline layers of segmentation for customer relationship nurture and corresponding data requirements.
Opportunity Identification in Account-Based Marketing
In this brief, we outline four steps to define potential opportunity in one-to-few or one-to-many account-based models, in order to deliver a common view across accounts and improve marketing productivity.
Designing a Successful Executive Sponsorship Program
In this brief, we present four sets of best practices for creating an executive sponsorship program.
Building an Account-Based Marketing Function
In this brief, we outline a four-phase process for building a successful ABM function.