Account-Based Marketing (ABM) identifies the insights, integrated marketing initiatives and sales alignment requirements to deliver and measure impact with target groups of customers and prospects. Beyond demand creation, ABM looks at the role of marketing throughout the customer lifecycle including the development of insights and advocacy to support better execution and revenue outcomes.
Senior marketing management from Fortune 500 companies and small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) use ABM to define the best strategies to win, develop and retain business with a specific set of accounts. ABM combines best practices, innovative models, thought leadership and benchmark data to help companies make better decisions faster about account-based investment.
Through continuous research and deliverables that allow easy access to operational intelligence, ABM stimulates ideas, provides a platform for discussion within your organization, allows you to network with peers at SiriusDecisions events, and gives you on-demand intelligence for effective decisionmaking.
- Compare strategies and tactics used to create demand and drive retention and advocacy
- Analyze your account-based marketing investment against your peers
- Learn how best-practice organizations are approaching account-based marketing
- Use proven models and frameworks to avoid reactive, hard-to-scale execution in ABM efforts
- Gain insight on how to build a customer focus that takes advantage of marketing’s strengths
REPRESENTATIVE COVERAGE AREAS
- ABM Strategy – Understand the different options for ABM efforts and when to apply them
- ABM Analytics – Learn what historical and predictive data is needed to understand available opportunity and the likelihood and timeframes for winning it, as well as potential retention challenges
- Organizational Structure – Understand the roles and responsibilities needed to support account-based execution
- Customer Experience – Understand the roles and responsibilities needed to support customer experience from a marketing and sales perspective
- Vendor Analysis – Learn the strengths and weaknesses of emerging suppliers in order to narrow your choices during the vendor selection process
- Measurement – Understand best practice key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics to gauge the effectiveness of your ABM efforts
- Planning Model – Understand the logical model for balancing investment in programs and tactics against market themes and business objectives
- ABM Strategy Model – Representation of account-based models and the best context in which to use them to help companies identify their options
- Account-Based Scoring Model – Tool that defines the dimensions of account and buying-center knowledge required to accurately estimate opportunity and the likelihood of realizing it within a target group of accounts
- Campaign Framework – Best-in-class framework for marketing to link strategy to quantitative goals and program and tactic execution that can be used to support budgeting and return-on-investment
- Deployment Options Framework – Model that identifies the four modes of delivery for account-based marketing tactics to help marketing and sales align around how to bring tactics to prospects and customers
- Customer Marketing Function Framework – Description of the optimized customer marketing function to define the evolution and staffing of these capabilities based on goals
- Sirius Analytics Overview – Tool that helps you define the analysis options appropriate to various reporting and insights objectives, and the technology and data requirements that go with them
- Account-Based Marketing Measurement Model – Tool that helps you better define your target market based on four specific variables (market segmentation, market requirements, business function analysis, and buyer/user dynamics), plus the ability of your organization to turn these variables into action
SiriusDecisions offers research in a variety of formats to deliver a comprehensive view of today’s most pressing sales and marketing issues, available for search and download on our research portal.
- Research Briefs: Monthly research notes that frame executive-level sales and marketing issues. Three to four briefs are delivered to you each month, and are archived on the research portal.
- SiriusPerspectives: A monthly newsletter that provides a high-level overview of a sales and marketing topic dealing with demand creation, sales optimization or reputation development.
- Vendor Profiles: Reviews of emerging suppliers who may be beneficial to your account-based marketing efforts. SiriusDecisions also plots suppliers on our vendor matrices, allowing you to analyze and narrow your choices.
- Core Strategy Reports: Provides key observations and commentary on SiriusDecisions presentations introducing critical models, frameworks and strategies. Tackles more complex sales and marketing issues, and introduces new areas of research in a white paper format.
- SiriusTools: Frameworks, models and issues spectrums that allow you to more easily visualize and communicate your challenges, and to determine the most appropriate courses of action.
- Rich Media: Webcast archives in rich media format that can be replayed at your convenience, shared with team members or used for training purposes.
Analyst Inquiry: Unlimited analyst inquiry privileges are offered as part of ABM membership; you can schedule analyst time via phone or email. Discussions often focus on best practices, data, analytic tools or vendor reviews.
Account-Based Marketing Benchmark: Each year, SiriusDecisions analysts will benchmark your account-based marketing strategy, resources and performance against our SiriusIndex™ of business-to-business companies, and provide an independent perspective of your development and performance compared with similar companies.
Events: Peer interaction is a valuable way to understand how others are solving similar issues and to build your network. ABM membership includes monthly Webcasts, quarterly half-day research forums, as well as discounted pricing on all SiriusDecisions conferences.
Below, please find a partial list of recently published ABM research.
|Core Strategy Report|
Account-Based Marketing Toolkit
In this SiriusDecisions Core Strategy Report, we introduce the SiriusDecisions ABM toolkit, and describe how it facilitates the process of executing three of the four ABM types: large account, named account and industry.
Identifying Dimensions for Market Segmentation
In this brief, we group segmentation dimensions into three categories - common/easy to obtain, less common/more difficult to obtain and least common/most difficult to obtain - and discuss how and when dimensions from each category should be used.
Communicating the Value of Account-Based Marketing to Sales
In this brief, we outline a three-step process for ABM teams to communicate with sales constituents and foster successful collaboration between marketing and sales efforts focusing on a defined universe of accounts.
The Evolution of Customer Advocacy
In this brief, we explain how the customer advocacy function evolves by revenue band and describe how enhancements to the function’s role, people, processes, interlock and infrastructure can improve its effectiveness.
Best Practices for Customer Referral Programs
A well-constructed customer referral program can play an important role for b-to-b organizations by converting customer advocacy into new sources of demand. In this brief, we outline three sets of best practices for designing a referral program.
Opportunity Type Sales Strategies: Existing Customers
In this brief, we explore sales strategies to consider when selling to existing customers, including factors that impact which approach is best to take.
Account-Based Marketing Planning for an Industry Focus
In this brief, we outline two approaches to an industry-focused planning process for account-based marketers.
The SiriusDecisions Customer Marketing Maturity Model
In this brief, we introduce the SiriusDecisions Customer Marketing Maturity Model and describe how it can be used to evaluate the current state of an organization’s customer marketing activities.
The SiriusDecisions Account-Based Marketing Maturity Model
In this brief, we introduce the SiriusDecisions Account-Based Marketing (ABM) Maturity Model, and describe how it can be used to evaluate an ABM organization.
Customer Advocacy: Rewarding Participants
In this brief, we focus on considerations for determining whether an advocacy rewards program should be implemented, the types of rewards that can be used, and the risks of customer advocacy rewards.
It Takes All (Opportunity) Types
In this brief, we introduce the concept of opportunity type and examine its impact across the marketing and sales ecosystem.
Account-Based Marketing: The Digital Toolkit
In this brief, we describe digital tactics that support marketing to a defined universe of accounts and the technology infrastructure required to deliver them.
The Sirius Directions in Technology Model
In this brief, we will discuss the model’s four main technology categories, and how the different types of tools within each category can positively impact sales and marketing as well as corporate goals.
Data Requirements for Account-Based Marketing
In this brief, we discuss what data is required to kick off an ABM program and how b-to-b marketing and sales teams can use our ABM data requirements template to make progress toward ABM maturity.
Strategic Account Plans: Assessment and Scoring
In this brief, we present a scorecard and best practices for assessing strategic account plans.
Account-Based Marketing: Post-Pilot Expansion
In this brief, we explain three sets of best practices for expanding account-based marketing after an initial pilot is completed.
Measuring the Impact of Account-Based Marketing
In this brief, we describe a layered approach to measuring account-based marketing (ABM) that provides insight and proof of contribution to the business.
Taking Stock of a Customer Advocacy Program
In this brief, we provide a checklist for evaluating four essential pillars of a b-to-b customer advocacy program.
The B-to-B Leader's Role in Supporting Customer Orientation
In this brief, we outline four types of support that leaders should provide to ensure that their staff members consistently engage in customer insight activities.
Mapping the Customer Lifecycle: Preparation and Participants
In this brief, the first in a series, we describe how to prepare for building a customer lifecycle map and who needs to be involved in the process.