Product Marketing and Management
When is product management not product management? When it’s product marketing, of course. We aren’t trying to be glib, but the reality is that far too many organizations continue to twist the roles and responsibilities of these related, yet different functions. It’s not surprising as to why; product marketing is usually borne out of product management, meaning that unless its evolution is distinct and complete, overlap and confusion reign.
The role of product marketing is evolving from a product-focused to a solutions-oriented function. This move toward solutions positioning in a b-to-b organization will have a significant impact on the legacy product marketing functions. While the range of tasks does not change much, the way in which they are carried out certainly does.
Product Marketing and Management™ (PMM) provides the best practice research, benchmarking data, analytic models and thought leadership on the definition, structure, and responsibilities of the product marketing and management functions, as well as their place in the marketing organization and their relationship to other business units. PMM delivers objective data and intelligence to compare and contrast your own efforts to peer organizations, and provides thought-provoking research on industry trends, best-in-class go-to-market strategies and budget and resource allocation data.
- Compare how your product marketing organization stacks up against your peers
- Understand the strategies, tactics and tools that best-practice organizations are using to ready products and services for the marketplace
- Assess the impact of your product marketing and product management functions with models, tools and frameworks that will allow you to fine tune processes and linkages with other functions
- Gain the latest insight and research from industry thought leaders on how the product marketing and management functions are evolving in the b-to-b environment
REPRESENTATIVE COVERAGE AREAS
- Strategy – Understand how the role of product marketing in the b-to-b environment is shifting from product-focused to solutions-oriented, and what is required to make the shift
- Solution Marketing – Understand the evolutionary stages in the product to solutions shift; horizontal vs. vertical positioning; and alignment with reputation building and communications activities and with the sales readiness function
- Demand Creation – Improve relative targeting and target market definitions and alignment with field marketing, and learn how to account-base market
- Sales Readiness – Ensure you are equipping the sales function with the resources they need to effectively sell your portfolio of products and/or solutions into the market
- Technology – Learn what solutions and services are available to aid the product marketing function in enabling sales readiness
- Solutions Model – details the requirements to move from stage to stage in the product to solutions evolution
- Market Definition Bull’s Eye – a set of characteristics that combine to provide a thorough market assessment
- Marketing Playbook Model – a four layered model on how marketing should develop playbooks
- Account-Based Marketing – a perspective on why product marketing must be leveraged for current and key account marketing
Incorporating PMM into your workflow is easy. Interact with SiriusDecisions research analysts in the manner that suits your needs. You may contact our analysts by phone, send an inquiry by e-mail or participate in interactive webcasts and in-person forums with analysts and peers. You will also have access to published research, presentations and rich media-based content on demand via the client portal.
- Research Briefs: Monthly research notes that frame executive-level sales and marketing issues in a concise layout. Three to four briefs are delivered to you each month, and are archived on the research portal.
- SiriusPerspectives: A monthly newsletter in a concise layout that provides a high-level overview of a sales and marketing topic dealing with demand creation, sales optimization or reputation development.
- Vendor Profiles: Reviews of emerging suppliers who may be beneficial to your demand creation efforts. SiriusDecisions also plots suppliers on our vendor matrices, allowing you to analyze and narrow your choices.
- Core Strategy Reports: Provides key observations and commentary on SiriusDecisions presentations introducing critical models, frameworks and strategies. Tackles more complex sales and marketing issues, and introduces new areas of research in a white paper format.
- SiriusTools: Frameworks, models and issues spectrums that allow you to more easily visualize and communicate your challenges, and to determine the most appropriate courses of action.
- Rich Media: Webcast archives in rich media format that can be replayed at your convenience, shared with team members or used for training purposes.
Analyst Inquiry: Unlimited analyst inquiry privileges are offered as part of PMM membership; you can schedule analyst time via phone or email. Discussions often focus on best practices, data, analytic tools or vendor reviews.
Product Marketing Audit: Each year SiriusDecisions will benchmark your product marketing and management performance against our SiriusIndex™ of Fortune 500 and SMB companies, and provide an independent perspective of your performance compared with your peers.
Events: Peer interaction is a valuable way to understand how other are solving similar issues, and to build your network. PMM membership includes bimonthly Webcasts and quarterly half-day research forums, as well as discounted pricing on all SiriusDecisions conference.
Below, please find a partial list of recently published PMM research.
The Innovation Council: Key Decision Gates
Executive-level innovation councils ensure that the organization invests in offerings that are aligned with strategy, are in accord with other business units and have the highest prospect for success. In this brief, we define the structure and responsibilities of the innovation council, including questions that should be answered at each decision gate.
Account-Based Models: Is Sales Ready?
Moving to an account-based model may seem like a natural progression for a sales organization as its customer base matures. The change, however, requires a well-planned strategic transition. In this brief, we outline a decision process to help b-to-b sales organizations determine whether they are prepared for the transition to an account-based model.
Introducing the SiriusDecisions Innovation Strategy Framework
In this brief, we introduce the SiriusDecisions Innovation Strategy Framework, a model that organizations can use to rationalize their investments across four quadrants of customer-driven innovation.
Product Lifecycle Investment Decisionmaking
After an organization’s commercially released products or solutions have been scored using the SiriusDecisions Product Portfolio Optimization Framework, the product team must agree on thresholds that offerings must meet to qualify for various investment levels. In this brief, we discuss the next steps for offerings whose scores classify them into three investment levels: grow and enhance, maintain and sunset.
Creating the Future Roadmap
In this brief, we present four best practices for documenting a future roadmap and successfully communicating an offering’s long-term possibilities.
The CEO Persona: Content and Tactic Preferences
In this brief, we present findings from our 2012 C-level buyer persona study, focusing specifically on the content and tactic preferences of the CEO buyer persona.
Aligning Product Management and Demand Creation
In this brief, we identify activities and deliverables within the SiriusDecisions Product Marketing and Management Model that help product management to maintain close alignment with demand functions.
Optimizing the Product Portfolio
In this brief, we introduce the SiriusDecisions Product Portfolio Optimization Framework, a best-in-class tool for determining which commercially released products or solutions require a strategic change.
The Human Resources Head Persona: Content and Tactic Preferences
In this brief, we present findings from our 2012 C-level buyer persona study, focusing specifically on the content and tactic preferences of the head of human resources.
B-to-B Personas: Customer Role Attributes
Marketers must understand the shift in perspective that happens once a buyer becomes a customer. In this brief, we explain how to extend the b-to-b persona model to incorporate customer roles.
Customer Advocacy Programs: Customer Lifecycle Assets
In this brief, we review options for customer reference assets and interactions for each stage of the customer lifecycle.
B-to-B Market Sizing: A Disciplined Approach
In this brief, we present four steps to effectively size a market, which helps gauge the opportunity for a new offering as well as prioritize investments during annual business planning.
The CSO Buyer Persona: Content and Tactic Preferences
In this brief, we present the content and tactic preferences of the chief sales officer (CSO) buying persona, based on our 2012 C-level buyer persona study.
The Role of the Functional Specification in Product Development
In this brief, we explain the role of a functional specification and share best practices for its creation and use.
|Core Strategy Report|
The SiriusDecisions Campaign Implementation Process
In this SiriusDecisions Core Strategy Report, we identify the steps involved in developing and implementing integrated campaigns and highlight operational considerations for each step.
The CMO Buyer Persona: Content and Tactic Preferences
In this brief, we present findings from our 2012 C-level buyer persona study, focusing specifically on the content and tactic preferences of CMOs.
Conducting a Best-in-Class Beta Test
In this brief, we describe a step-by-step process for planning and executing a successful product beta test.
Designing a Product Prototype
In this brief, we explain how to determine the right format for a product prototype, what elements to include and how to involve key stakeholders in its creation.
Building a Persona-Based Content Framework
In this brief, we present the components of a best-in-class content framework designed to guide product, solution and industry marketing leaders in developing a persona-based strategy and process for content creation.
Customer Advocacy Programs: Buying Cycle Assets
In this brief, we review options for customer reference assets and interactions for each stage of the buyer’s journey.
We can help you with the research and insight you need to take your sales and marketing to the next level. Learn more