Portfolio Marketing (PMKTG) provides research and advice on the definition, structure and responsibilities of the product, solution and industry marketing functions in b-to-b enterprises. We deliver the operational intelligence and decision support framework necessary for leaders driving their organizations' go-to-market strategies to succeed.
Our research focuses on innovation and go-to-market processes, best practices and the validation and advice you and your team need to drive awareness, demand creation and sales productivity for your offering or portfolio, whether it consists of products, services or solutions. Coverage areas include:
- The SiriusDecisions Product Marketing and Management (PMM) Model™ – SiriusDecisions’ industry-recognized PMM Model assessment enables you to compare your activities, spend and organizational alignment against your peers, ensuring that you are focused on the right strategies and tactics to grow your business
- Product-to-Solution Evolution – Leverage the SiriusDecisions Solutions Model and best practices to define a best-in-class go-to-market strategy
- Sales Enablement – Devise the right tactics on how to transfer product/solution knowledge to the sales force and channel
- Personas – Tap into SiriusDecisions studies on b-to-b buying behavior and C-level personas’ content and tactic preferences to inform your campaign and content strategies
- Messaging – Understand the latest trends in messaging and content creation
- Launch – Leverage detailed best-in-class processes, guides and tools for best-in-class product launch to increase chances of launch success
Interact with SiriusDecisions research analysts in the manner that suits your needs. You will receive ongoing support, learning, coaching, validation and up-skilling of your product, solution or industry marketing team through best practices research and phone-based inquiries with analyst experts.
- Research Briefs: Three to four research notes are delivered to you each month and are archived on our client-only research portal, available 24x7.
- Vendor Profiles: SiriusDecisions follows a full spectrum of marketing, sales and product vendors and technology to help in your purchasing decision process.
- Core Strategy Reports: Key observations and commentary that address critical models, frameworks and strategies. Core Strategy Reports cover complex issues and introduce new areas of research in a white-paper format.
- SiriusTools: Templates and Excel-based decision support tools that make it easy to apply SiriusDecisions frameworks and models.
- Analyst Inquiry: Analyst inquiry privileges are offered as part of the Portfolio Marketing service and can be scheduled on an as-needed basis with our in-house analyst experts. These 50-minute phone-based discussions are scheduled through your account executive.
- Annual Benchmark: Each year, SiriusDecisions will benchmark your spend levels and detailed program allocations against our SiriusIndex™ of b-to-b companies, providing you with an assessment of resource gaps and misalignments as well as insights into whether you are over- or under-spending.
- Client Roundtables: Tap into an invitation-only peer network via quarterly half-day forums, virtual or onsite roundtables, as well as discounted pricing on all SiriusDecisions conferences.
- Webcasts: Learn from hot-topic presentations that you can play at your convenience or share with team members for training and “lunch and learn” purposes.
Below, please find a partial list of recently published Portfolio Marketing research.
Sorting Out Portfolio Marketing and Sales Enablement
In this brief, we define portfolio marketing and sales enablement, and discuss how the two groups must align to increase the effectiveness of the sales organization.
Crafting a Product or Solution Value Proposition
In this brief, we describe the components of a b-to-b value proposition and provide a worksheet for crafting these components into a statement that will ignite a spark of attraction between a buyer and a b-to-b offering.
The B-to-B Leader's Role in Supporting Customer Orientation
In this brief, we outline four types of support that leaders should provide to ensure that their staff members consistently engage in customer insight activities.
Communicating a Price Increase the Right Way
In this brief, we provide best practices for developing and delivering price increase messaging.
B-to-B Messaging Echelons
In this brief, we present the most common b-to-b messaging echelons and introduce a framework for architecting relevant, motivating value propositions.
Crafting a Product Retirement Communications Plan
In this brief, we describe the key elements of a product retirement communications plan, including key audiences, messages and timeline.
Partner Personas: Key Attributes
In this brief, we examine the key attributes of five partner personas, including their relevance to specific stages of the partner's journey.
Solutions Model Deep Dive: Integrated
In this brief, we present a best practice approach for developing integrated solutions, as well as risks to avoid.
Solutions Model Deep Dive: Bundle
In this brief, we present a best practice approach for developing bundled offerings, as well as risks to avoid.
Prioritizing Buyer Personas
In this brief, we present a three-step approach to prioritizing and selecting the buyer personas that will drive the greatest business value for the organization.
Solutions Model Deep Dive: Marketecture
In this brief, we present a best practice approach for developing marketecture offerings, as well as risks to avoid.
Identifying Customer Advocates
In this brief, we outline a best practice approach to identifying customer advocates.
Portfolio Marketing: Planning Assumptions 2014
In this brief, we share five key trends that will impact portfolio marketing in 2014.
Product Management: Planning Assumptions 2014
In this brief, we share five key trends that will impact product management in 2014.
Building B-to-B Personas: An Action Plan and Timeline
In this brief, we outline a four-part action plan and timeline for marketers embarking on a persona-building pilot project.
The SiriusDecisions Launch Dashboard
In this brief, we provide best practices for defining launch goals and dashboard components for four tiers of product, solution or service launches.
The SiriusDecisions Content Model: Portfolio Marketing's Role
In this brief, we take a deeper dive into the role of portfolio marketing during the three phases and eight stages of the enterprise-wide content model.
Best Practices for Creating and Using User Personas
In this brief, we describe best practices for integrating user personas into the innovation and go-to-market process to ensure users’ needs are considered throughout the product lifecycle.
First 90 Days: Product Marketing Leader
In this brief, we outline a product marketing leader’s key activities for the first 90 days in the role and reference relevant SiriusDecisions research to ease the transition.
The Emerging Role of the Portfolio Marketing Leader
In this brief, we describe the role of the portfolio marketing leader and identify the roles that should report to it.
We can help you with the research and insight you need to take your sales and marketing to the next level. Learn more