Product Management (PMGMT) provides research and advice on the definition, structure and responsibilities of the product management function in b-to-b enterprises. We deliver the operational intelligence and decision support framework necessary for product and solution management leaders to succeed.
Our research focuses on innovation and go-to-market processes, best practices and the validation and advice you and your team need to ensure the commercial success of your company's offerings. Coverage areas include:
- The SiriusDecisions Product Marketing and Management (PMM) Model™ – SiriusDecisions’ industry-recognized PMM Model assessment enables you to compare your activities, spend and organizational alignment against your peers, ensuring that you are focused on the right strategies and tactics to grow your business
- Innovation Strategy – SiriusDecisions’ Innovation Strategy Framework is a strategic decision tool that helps you determine if you are focusing too much on the next generation of existing product vs. net new innovation concepts that could increase market share
- Business Planning – Get best practices and templates for building
a business case, market requirements document and product requirements document, and enable your teams to get the right work done upfront, allowing you to get stakeholders aligned and drive a customer-centric approach to innovation
- Roadmaps – Leverage our structured roadmapping process to create a long-term future roadmap and learn best practice approaches to prioritize and phase elements within a roadmap, communicate roadmaps and drive alignment with them
- Portfolio Optimization – Use the SiriusDecisions Product Portfolio Optimization Framework to determine what offerings are suited for growth, maintenance or sunset, and tap into best practices and how-to advice on execution
- Enhancement Prioritization – Access our best-in-class decisionmaking process for enhancements to existing products and solutions. Our Excel-based tool runs potential enhancements through three sets of variables — financial, external and internal — to score and rank their viability and eventual priority
Interact with SiriusDecisions research analysts in the manner that suits your needs. You will receive ongoing support, learning, coaching, validation and up-skilling of your product management team through best practices research and phone-based inquiries with analyst experts.
- Research Briefs: Three to four research notes are delivered to you each month and are archived on our client-only research portal, available 24x7.
- Vendor Profiles: SiriusDecisions follows a full spectrum of marketing, sales and product vendors and technology to help in your purchasing decision process.
- Core Strategy Reports: Key observations and commentary that address critical models, frameworks and strategies. Core Strategy Reports cover complex issues and introduce new areas of research in a white-paper format.
- SiriusTools: Templates and Excel-based decision support tools that make it easy to apply SiriusDecisions frameworks and models.
- Analyst Inquiry: Analyst inquiry privileges are offered as part of the Product Management service and can be scheduled on an as-needed basis with our in-house analyst experts. These 50-minute phone-based discussions are scheduled through your account executive.
- Annual Benchmark: Each year, SiriusDecisions will benchmark your spend levels and detailed program allocations against our SiriusIndex™ of b-to-b companies, providing you with an assessment of resource gaps and misalignments as well as insights into whether you are over- or under-spending.
- Client Roundtables: Tap into an invitation-only peer network via quarterly half-day forums, virtual or onsite roundtables, as well as discounted pricing on all SiriusDecisions conferences.
- Webcasts: Learn from hot-topic presentations that you can play at your convenience or share with team members for training and “lunch and learn” purposes.
Below, please find a partial list of recently published Product Management research.
Market Segmentation: Goals and Principles
In this brief, we review the goals of market segmentation and the principles that should be applied to define market segments.
Launch Team Composition and Governance
In this brief, we explain best practices for selecting launch team representatives from each stakeholder group, including the emerging practice of enlisting a project management office (PMO) to support the launch team.
Deciphering Results From Customer Research for Product Discovery
In this brief, we outline a five-step process to consolidate, analyze and identify insights from customer research for product discovery.
SaaS Development Priorities: Balancing Needs
In this brief, we describe a five-step process for prioritizing the diverse feedback and needs of SaaS buyer, customer and user audiences.
Building the Service Description
In this brief, we describe best practices for creating a service description, a key deliverable in the design stage of the cross-functional services development and delivery process.
Customer Advocacy: Rewarding Participants
In this brief, we focus on considerations for determining whether an advocacy rewards program should be implemented, the types of rewards that can be used, and the risks of customer advocacy rewards.
Sorting Out Product Management and User Experience
In this brief, we discuss how product management and user experience responsibilities differ, and how the two groups must collaborate throughout the innovation process.
The Sirius Directions in Technology Model
In this brief, we will discuss the model’s four main technology categories, and how the different types of tools within each category can positively impact sales and marketing as well as corporate goals.
Applying Agile Development Concepts to Product Strategy
In this brief, we look at best practices for applying agile concepts in the strategy phase of the Product Marketing and Management Model.
Product Management: Its Sales Enablement Roles and Responsibilities
Although salespeople and channel partners are the resources that close the deals in a b-to-b environment, product managers can provide a critical boost to their effectiveness. In this brief, we describe product management’s role and responsibilities with respect to sales enablement.
Creating a Business Unit Strategy Brief
In this brief, we provide a three-part outline for a business unit strategy brief that outlines go-to-market plans for key offerings and target markets.
The SiriusDecisions Product Management Maturity Model
In this brief, we introduce the SiriusDecisions Product Management Maturity Model and describe how it can be used to evaluate a product management organization.
The B-to-B Leader's Role in Supporting Customer Orientation
In this brief, we outline four types of support that leaders should provide to ensure that their staff members consistently engage in customer insight activities.
Communicating a Price Increase the Right Way
In this brief, we provide best practices for developing and delivering price increase messaging.
Crafting a Product Retirement Communications Plan
In this brief, we describe the key elements of a product retirement communications plan, including key audiences, messages and timeline.
Gaining Clarity: Product Management Roles, Responsibilities and Structure
In this brief, we define the spectrum of product management roles and the responsibilities and reporting relationships of each.
Solutions Model Deep Dive: Integrated
In this brief, we present a best practice approach for developing integrated solutions, as well as risks to avoid.
|Core Strategy Report|
Developing the Business Case - Final
In this SiriusDecisions Core Strategy Report, we provide a template and guidelines that product teams can use to develop and present the final version of the business case.
Product Revenue Planning: Applying the Demand Waterfall
In this brief, we explain how product managers can use the SiriusDecisions Demand Waterfall to estimate sales and validate projections for a new offering.
Pricing New Product Capabilities: To Charge or Not to Charge?
In this brief, we examine the factors to consider when deciding how to price new product capabilities.
We can help you with the research and insight you need to take your sales and marketing to the next level. Learn more