Strategic Communications Management
With the rise of social media, content marketing and the empowered, research-oriented buyer, b-to-b communications organizations are poised for a paradigm shift. Categories of communications stakeholders such as “influencer” are blurring the lines between traditional public relations and analyst relations responsibilities, requiring an entirely new way of leveraging organizational competencies.
The communications organization of the past was a bullhorn for the corporate entity, untethered to the rest of marketing or sales. The communications organization of the future is an integrated brand hub – building and managing the corporate reputation, seeding demand, executing on the brand across multi-media demand creation campaign tactics, collaborating with product marketing to ensure a consistent top-to-bottom “go to market” strategy, and working with sales to both provide resources and elicit brand and reputation feedback from the front line.
Strategic Communications Management™ (SCM) provides the best practice research, benchmarking data, analytic models and thought leadership required to leverage, optimize and enhance your existing communications resources and initiatives to align with the rest of marketing and sales. SCM delivers fact-based intelligence to compare and contrast your efforts with peer organizations and thought-provoking research on industry trends, bleeding-edge tactics and channels, and best-in-class planning and measurement processes.
- Understand how your communications organization stacks up against peer organizations in terms of structure and allocation, performance, and alignment
- Learn how best-in-class organizations are aligning communications efforts with product marketing, demand creation and sales (direct or channel) enablement strategies
- Leverage key frameworks and models to visualize and diagnose key challenges and develop a prioritized path toward organizational objectives
- Discover the strategies, tactics and tools that best practice organizations use to build and manage corporate brand and reputation
- Gain access to insight, research and peer interaction geared around the evolution of the b-to-b communications function
REPRESENTATIVE COVERAGE AREAS
- Strategy – Understand the opportunities for corporate communications, corporate marketing and marketing communications to be active in seeding and enabling demand creation and sales
- Corporate and Marketing Communications– Identify key internal and external stakeholders and influencers to optimize PR and AR functions, as well as drive corporate influence and advocacy
- Social Media – Learn how communications must act as a social center of excellence and operational hub for the successful social organization
- Measurement– Ensure that your activities are “planned to be measured” and build a best-in-class dashboard that shows where you’re moving the needle on business objectives
- Technology – Access information about solutions and services available to help communications professionals research, strategize, execute, facilitate and measure
- Brand Migration Model – Facilitates the development of a strategic roadmap toward a leadership position based on a brand’s current challenges and objectives
- Influencer Framework – Provides a foundational architecture for the scoring, tracking and engagement of influencers within a market segment
- Social Engagement Model – Advocates a four-step process for prioritizing social activities, with variable complexity depending on the sophistication and objectives of the user
- Agency Selection Model – offers a baseline core set of selection guidelines for evaluating and reviewing public relations, analyst relations and other external agencies in order to engage with the most appropriate vendors
- Agency Project Management Model – Offers a step-by-step guide to evaluating and working with an agency on a defined project or initiative
Incorporating SCM into your workflow is easy. Interact with SiriusDecisions research analysts in the manner that suits your needs. You may contact our analysts by phone, send an inquiry by e-mail or participate in interactive webcasts and in-person forums with analysts and peers. You will also have access to published research, presentations and rich media-based content on demand via the client portal.
- Research Briefs: Monthly research notes that frame executive-level sales and marketing issues. Three to four briefs are delivered to you each month, and are archived on the research portal.
- SiriusPerspectives: A monthly newsletter that provides a high-level overview of a sales and marketing topic dealing with demand creation, sales optimization or reputation development.
- Vendor Profiles: Reviews of emerging suppliers who may be beneficial to your communications efforts. SiriusDecisions also plots suppliers on our vendor matrices, allowing you to analyze and narrow your choices.
- Core Strategy Reports: Provides key observations and commentary on SiriusDecisions presentations introducing critical models, frameworks and strategies. Tackles more complex sales and marketing issues, and introduces new areas of research in a white paper format.
- SiriusTools: Frameworks, models and issues spectrums that allow you to more easily visualize and communicate your challenges, and to determine the most appropriate courses of action.
- Rich Media: Webcast archives in rich media format that can be replayed at your convenience, shared with team members or used for training purposes.
Analyst Inquiry: Analyst inquiry privileges are offered on an as needed basis as part of SCM membership; you can schedule analyst time via phone or email. Discussions often focus on best practices, data, analytic tools or vendor reviews.
Strategic Communications Management Benchmark: Each year SiriusDecisions will benchmark your communications organization’s performance against our SiriusIndex™ of business-to-business companies, and provide an independent perspective of your performance compared with your peers.
Events: Peer interaction is a valuable way to understand how others are solving similar issues, and to build your network. SCM membership includes bimonthly Webcasts and quarterly half-day research forums, as well as discounted pricing on all SiriusDecisions conferences.
Below, please find a partial list of recently published SCM research.
Conducting a Content Process Gap Analysis
In this brief, we describe how to apply the SiriusDecisions Content Gap Analysis to identify areas of strength or weakness and begin moving toward a more optimized state.
Messaging by Demand Type: New Paradigm
In this brief, we provide instructions on how to adjust persona-based messaging during each stage of the SiriusDecisions Buying Cycle when the demand type for an offering is new paradigm.
First 90 Days: Corporate Communications Leader
In this brief, we outline key activities that a new corporate communications leader should complete during his or her first 90 days in the role, and reference relevant SiriusDecisions research to ease the transition.
Introducing the SiriusDecisions Influencer Framework
In this brief, we introduce the SiriusDecisions Influencer Framework, which defines seven types of influencers that provide distinct value to sellers and buyers.
Customer Advocacy: Rewarding Participants
In this brief, we focus on considerations for determining whether an advocacy rewards program should be implemented, the types of rewards that can be used, and the risks of customer advocacy rewards.
The Sirius Directions in Technology Model
In this brief, we will discuss the model’s four main technology categories, and how the different types of tools within each category can positively impact sales and marketing as well as corporate goals.
Tactic Deep Dive: Press Releases
In this brief, we describe a four-step process for optimizing press releases to achieve greater impact in the new media world.
The SiriusDecisions Content Model: Communications' Role
In this brief, we take a deeper dive into the role of communications in the three phases and eight stages of the content model.
Social Selling Diagnostic Model: Demand
In this brief, we examine the behaviors, knowledge, skills and processes that reps need to conduct online coversations with buyers that create demand and expand relationships.
The SiriusDecisions Social Demand Tactics Framework
In this brief, we describe the SiriusDecisions Social Demand Framework, a tool designed to help organizations understand how social media should be integrated into their demand creation program mix.
Crafting a Product or Solution Value Proposition
In this brief, we describe the components of a b-to-b value proposition and provide a worksheet for crafting these components into a statement that will ignite a spark of attraction between a buyer and a b-to-b offering.
The SiriusDecisions Social Intelligence Framework
In this brief, we introduce the SiriusDecisions Social Intelligence Framework, which provides a roadmap for overcoming the social intelligence learning curve and getting the most value from the organization’s investment in the selected tool.
B-to-B Messaging Echelons
In this brief, we present the most common b-to-b messaging echelons and introduce a framework for architecting relevant, motivating value propositions.
The SiriusDecisions Content Brief Template
In this brief, we outline the nine sections of our content brief template.
The Sirius Indicator: Event Management Software Providers
In this brief, using the six dimensions of the Sirius Indicator, we discuss the major categories to consider when evaluating and scoring event management software.
Social Selling Diagnostic Model: Engage
In this brief, we explore the behaviors, knowledge, skills and processes reps need to leverage social media in the Engage quadrant of the SiriusDecisions Social Selling Diagnostic Model.
Operationalized Brand Measurement: Component Deep Dive
In this brief, we take a deep dive into the brand metrics that comprise the performance indicators for the three components of a reputation program: awareness, perception and preference.
Social Selling Diagnostic Model: Monitor
In this brief, we explore the social media behaviors, knowledge, skills and processes that are most relevant to reps in the Monitor quadrant of the SiriusDecisions Social Selling Diagnostic Model.
Prioritizing Buyer Personas
In this brief, we present a three-step approach to prioritizing and selecting the buyer personas that will drive the greatest business value for the organization.
Operationalized Brand Measurement: Building the Indexes
The complex metrics used to capture brand’s impact on campaign success must be summarized in a way that can be readily explained to a reporting audience. In this brief, we detail the process for creating indexes to develop a summarized view of brand impact on campaign outcomes.
We can help you with the research and insight you need to take your sales and marketing to the next level. Learn more